Our team has experience representing Municipal Police Services and Police Service Boards as well as First Nation Police Services and Boards with a particular focus on labour, management, and governance issues. Rachael has extensive knowledge of this area of law.
We regularly advise on and assist with:
• rights and/or interest arbitration,
• pay equity issues and complaints,
• collective bargaining,
• grievance arbitration,
• human rights issues,
• managing civil actions and claims,
• drafting legal documents and responding to court orders,
• benefits and pension issues,
• public complaints, and
• compliance with relevant legislation and standards, including the Police Services Act and its regulations
Rachael has provided police services and police services boards training on the Comprehensive Ontario Police Services Act, 2019.
In the case of First Nation Police Services, we have extensive knowledge of the Self-Administered and Tripartite Policing Agreements made between Federal and Provincial Government and First Nations.
We provide advice and training to First Nations, First Nation Police Services and Boards to better understand:
• Opting into the Police Services Act and drafting of regulations
• Band By-Law enactment, enforcement and prosecution of By-Laws
• Provincial and Federal Laws that apply on First Nation land
• Land Code laws and police powers
• Cannabis Legislation
We can help you identify and manage legal risk for the Chief of Police and/or Police Service Board.